Be bear-ready this spring with the following tips & resources!
- Freeze smelly food waste (such as fish & other meat) until collection day
- Store green bins & garbage containers in a shed until the morning of pick up
- wrap or layer food waste in your green bin with paper or other carbon-based materials to reduce odour
- turn garden/backyard compost piles often and add lime to reduce odour
- keep pet food bowls indoors
- burn off barbecue grills at high temperatures after every use and clean them often
- pick fruit from trees as soon as it ripens
- keep your windows closed to prevent kitchen cooking smells from wafting outside.
- avoid using bird feeders in bear season (April-October)
If you're looking for more information on nuisance bears, please browse the following resources provided by the Province of Nova Scotia: