The All Saints Anglican Church is valued for its role as a church and focal point in the community of Leminster as well as a good representation of Gothic Revival architecture.
The simple wood frame church was built in 1871 and has served the community since that time. The unsymmetrical placement of the bell tower distinguishes All Saints from many churches of the same period in Hants County. It also has an open belfry which is more common among Lunenburg County Churches.
The house is believed to have been built between 1800-1835, by the Dimock Family. The Dimock family were among the first settlers from New England, arriving in the fall of 1759. The Dimocks were also among the founding members of the Newport Baptist Church. Adjacent to the property is the Baptist Cemetery now called the Scotch Village Century Cemetery. This property was sold to the trustees of the Calvinistic Baptist Church in Newport in 1840 by the Dimock Family.
"Greenwood" is located on one of the original Falmouth Township land grants made to the Planter colonists who settled on lands vacated by the 1755 expulsion of the Acadians. In 1760 the lot was granted to James Wilson of Rhode Island. In 1771, the lot was transferred to Jeremiah Northrup. While Mr. Northrup served in the Provincial Legislative Assembly representing the Township of Falmouth, frequent guests were entertained in his house, and it was known as "Greenwood". The next owner of the property was Matthew Elder, whose son John Elder built the present day 29 room home in 1830 on the same site as the original "Greenwood". The house is post and beam construction and is in excellent condition. It is a "T" shaped New England Colonial style (with some Neo-Classical and Gothic Revival influences). It has gable roofs, with the long main roofline broken by five dormers. Classical influences can be seen in the symmetry and proportions of this large home. There is a wide covered verandah on the front of the house covering the two entry doors, which both have side lights and transom windows.
When the Duncanson family purchased the house in 1880, Greenwood was remodelled to accommodate two families – perhaps creating one of Falmouth's first multiple unit dwellings. The house remained in the Duncanson family until 1974. John Victor Duncanson, who passed away in 1999, was a well-known and respected historian who wrote numerous books on the heritage of the Falmouth area, and the building is sometimes referred to as the "Duncanson House". What is remarkable about this building's architecture is the substantial intactness of original exterior building materials that are in place 185 years after construction.
Kempt Shore Presbyterian Church
In 1850 George Armstrong made provision for a private cemetery on his land. He also made the cemetery available to his neighbours. On April 23, 1858, George Armstrong and his wife Matilda conveyed in trust two acres of land to Thomas Glenn and Alexander McNeil of Kempt as trustees. The congregation had subscribed money to purchase the land and erect a church of the Presbyterian Church of Scotland. It is believed that this land included the private cemetery, as there are gravestones in the church yard that pre-date the construction of the church. In 1865 a church was erected on this site. It is believed that the church was built by the Armstrong family and the congregation.
Upper Vaughan Community Hall
Built in 1868 as the South Waterville School, the building was used as a one-room schoolhouse for almost 100 years. The school closed in 1964 and the building was later turned over to the community for use as a community hall. The building was constructed to replace the original log schoolhouse in Upper Vaughan which was located in what is now Lakeview Cemetery. The April 30, 1851 Return of Schools referred to the fact that the old building was in poor condition. It was not until October 31, 1868, that the Annual Report referred to the completion of the schoolhouse. The heritage application states that "the size of the schoolhouse was 21 x 26, 10 feet posts, furnished with Dawson seats and desks. Area of playground ¼ acre." As a school for grades primary to 12 between 1868 and 1964, and later as a community hall, the building has played a significant role at the community level for the residents of the Upper Vaughan area.
Windsor Plains Community Hall
There were two major groups of Blacks to immigrate to Nova Scotia: the Black Loyalists between 1776 and 1784, during and after the American Revolution; and then, after the War of 1812, another group of Black refugees arrived in Nova Scotia. In particular, Blacks from the second group settled in Hants County, in the area known as Windsor Plains. It was a challenge for Black settlers in Nova Scotia in the 1800’s to gain an education for their children. With the passing of the “Grammar School Act”, of 1811, it was not specified that separate schools were required, but the reality is that Blacks were not allowed to attend local grammar schools. In 1826, the “Act Concerning Schools” was passed, but did not alleviate the continuing inability of the Black community to school their children in the public system. It was another ten years, in 1836, before a minor school act made it possible for local school boards to use public funds to establish separate schools for Black children.
Another act called, “An Act for the Encouragement of Schools” was passed in 1845, with a reference to grants for “Schools for People of Colour”. While the exact date of the building and opening of the Five Mile Plains School – now known as the Windsor Plains Community Hall - is not known, a reference to the “recently completed” school is made in the House of Assembly in February of 1845.
The historic value of this building is in the original form of the one room school house which can still be seen despite the additions made over the years. It is a simple style, and still has the original corner boards, pitched roof, overhang, and wooden exterior shingles. When the school ceased operating in 1963, the deed was transferred from the Municipality of the District of West Hants to the Nova Scotia Association for the Advancement of Colored People in 1964. After a few years, it was then transferred to the Windsor Plains Recreation and Social Development Association. The West Hants African Advisory Association was created in 2004, and ownership of the hall transferred to that group shortly afterwards, who have been using it as the Windsor Plains Community Hall.
At the regional and provincial level, the Windsor Plains Community Hall (Five Mile Plains School) is one of the last one room segregated school house remaining in Nova Scotia. It is an ongoing reminder of the challenges that the local Black community members faced in the first generations after arriving in Nova Scotia. At the community level, the building has served a number of functions – a school house, a Sunday school, a community gathering place. It holds a prominent location at the corner of Pellow Road and Highway 1, and is regarded with warmth and affection by those who have attended it as a school, and as a meeting place for all occasions.