Flash flood damage your home?
Could the Updated Residential Property Tax Assistance Program Help You?
In an effort to help more WHRM residents, Council proposed significant increases to the household income and capped rate amounts. These increases were approved on April 25, 2023 as part of the 2023-2024 Budget.
UPDATED: If household income does not exceed $46,000 for 2022, WHRM taxpayers may be eligible for a credit. This credit can be up to 50% of the current year's property taxes to an UPDATED maximum amount of $400! Qualified applicants receive a rebate in the form of a credit applied to their tax account.
2022 CRA Notices of Assessment are required as proof of income for all residing in your household.
Download the updated APPLICATION FORM or call 902-798-8391, Ext. 138 to request one.
For additional information check out WHRM's Residential Property Tax Assistance Policy.
NEW DEADLINE TO APPLY: OCTOBER 31, 2023
Community Healing Sessions
Dear Residents of West Hants,
We are underway in the recovery phase from the horrific floods in July. The Municipality recognizes that resident input is essential to enable better representation of the needs required to assist in the healing process, both physically and mentally.
The Municipality has already communicated with the Province of NS for assistance and improvements with:
• better communication tools during crisis events, and
• cell tower coverage for our residents.
There are other needs that we may not be aware of that we can help facilitate and are asking for resident concerns and suggestions on moving forward.
We recognize that this is a traumatic time for all residents, and we will have mental health supports at the gatherings for any resident who needs assistance.
We commit to moving forward with you in the healing process.
Should you need transportation to/from the session (at no cost to you), contact Donnie's Taxi at 902-798-5456.
Sincerely, Abe (Mayor)
West Hants Update #18 for Mon., July 31, 2023 at 6:00 p.m.
Dear West Hants residents,
This will be our last daily update unless pertinent new information comes to light regarding the flood event of July 22. All communication updates can be found at westhants.ca
• Flags are at half-mast at all WHRM buildings and properties.
• RCMP Media Release July 31, 2023 - Search for Missing Youth
Today the RCMP provided an update on the search for the missing youth in West Hants.
Information can be found at https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/news/2023/update-search-missing-youth-west-hants
MAIL AND PARCEL DELIVERY
Canada Post Delivery Service Alert remains for Newport Post Office rural delivery.
• The Newport Post Office is open
• With ID, home delivery clients can pick up their mail at the Newport PO.
• Canada Post is assessing home delivery for the Newport PO Catchment area
• Ellershouse PO is open. Drivers are experiencing delays with detours
• Residents in the Ellershouse PO catchment area can also pick up their mail with ID.
DO YOU REQUIRE ASSISTANCE RELATED TO THE FLOOD?
The Disaster Financial Assistance Program is designed to help Nova Scotians, municipalities, small businesses and not-for-profit organizations get back on their feet. This program helps with insurable losses like household appliances, etc. The program covers up to $200,000 in uninsurable losses per household, small business and not-for-profit organization.
Applications are available at:
• online: https://beta.novascotia.ca/disaster-financial-assistance-storm-flooding
• Access Nova Scotia centres
• MLA offices
Residents are asked to continue to assess damage, keep all receipts, take pictures and video and work with their insurance companies.
If your home, car or business was damaged as a result of flooding, the Insurance Bureau of Canada can help you understand your insurance coverage and the various stages of the claims process.
If you don't see the information you're looking for, contact Insurance Bureau of Canada's Consumer Information Centre at 1-844-2ask-IBC (1-844-227-5422).
OTHER RESOURCES TO ASSIST
• Community Navigation/Assistance/Support: (782)-838-0623
• Kids Help Line: 1-800-668-6868 Text CONNECT to 686868
• Provincial Mental Health and Addictions Crisis Line: 1-888-429-8167
• Emergency 911
• NS programs and services 24/7: https://ns.211.ca/
• Disaster Financial Assistance programs: https://beta.novascotia.ca/documents/disaster-financial-assistance-fact-sheet
• Canadian Red Cross: 1-800-222-9597 for an assessment
Curbside waste collection services continue as scheduled on your regular collection day.
Please Note: storm related items can be placed curbside if arrangements CANNOT be made to have flood-related debris taken to the West Hants landfill during regular operating hours.
GFL dispatch can be contacted at (902)798-0910 for assistance if there are issues accessing your property; we are reassessing routes as road closures are updated to ensure no delays or interruptions to curbside collection services.
All development, building and demolition permit fees will be waived for properties impacted by the July 21-23 weather events. Property owners can begin removing items from their property impacted by flooding (flooring, drywall, insulation, etc.). A Building Official will need to conduct a site visit prior to any repairs being performed. Any questions on required permits can be directed to:
• Becky Dauphinee, Planning and Development Administrative Assistant - 902-798-8391 ext. 115
• Tim Leslie, Manager of Building and Fire Inspection Services - 902-798-8391 ext. 122
o Please leave a message and they will return your call as soon as possible.
Page 1 of 4